Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Wonderful Power of Chili

Last night we went over a friend's house for dinner. I was looking forward to it because anything she makes is always fabulous.

She had made a white bean chili with andouille sausage and chunks of chicken simmered in the crock pot. Delish.

Whenever we eat chili with friends that possibly might have not heard the story, hubby tells the tale of the stripper and the chili.

I always find it amazing that he even remembers that evening, apparently it made quite the impression.

It goes like this....


When we were first married, within the first year, he was invited to a bachelor's party. He says I didn't know the guy that invited him well enough to have made a judgement call on what kind of event it was going to be, oh but I surely did.

This guy was an idiot.

He went around TELLING people he was going to have a "first-rate" party with strippers and everything. (who knows what the "everything" referred to!).

Well my poor innocent little hubby didn't need to go to something like that and I distinctly remember asking him to politely decline the invite.

I am sure it was because he didn't want to hurt this fellow's feelings that he refused.

Or else he was trying to establish his dominance early on in the marriage.

Something like that anyway.

"Okay" I thought.

"Fine" I thought.

"Whatever" I thought.

"Oh he'll go alright" I muttered.

So, for dinner the night of the party, I cooked for him. How can you go to a party where there most likely will be alcohol without any food in your tummy? You could get sick right? I made a big ole pot of chili. Spicy chili. Lots of beans. Lots of spices. Toss in some onions. Add some green peppers. He ate a bowlful, then another. I sat back and smiled, from the joy of seeing him enjoying the fruit of my labors, I am sure.

He goes to the party.

He comes home a couple of hours later, before the "entertainment" starts.

His stomach hurts.

He rushes to the bathroom.

"I shouldn't have eaten all that chili!" he wails.

I smile.

I hear baked beans are a blast.

3 comments:

Babsie said...

I'm not sure which makes me grin more -- picturing you cooking up that batch of chili, or imagining your hubby laughing as he tells the story now.

Mareeba said...

Chili good...Chili friend!!

LOL

We women are much smarter than the menfolk give us credit for!

gapepper said...

Ok, I have to say I have read your blogs and laughed at most of them, but this one just made me bust out laughing to which Jay has asked, "what is so funny?" However, when I explained it, he didn't think it was funny. Imagine that!