Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Day of Rest

Not much happened today.

Hubby played golf this morning and I played hookey from Church. Being Catholic , I felt guilty about not going. I'm over it now though.

I needed a morning to myself. No one here, no one calling me, just all by myself.

HA HA HA ---that's what I thought I wanted.

There wasn't any food in the house, for I had planned on going today to Earth Fare.

Thank goodness for oatmeal you can make with water, and Weight Watchers cream cheese that keeps an unusually long time which was perfect on my mini wheat bagel.

Hopped in the shower, and was able to get to Earth Fare as they were opening at 9. It took me an hour to shop; I get mesmerized by all the organic offerings. Everything sounds either healthy or fancy. A pretty label and well crafted name can part me from my money. Jalapeno hummus, butternut risotto, and mushroom sage steak sauce, jumped in my cart. We are going to have some creative dinners this week.

As I am unpacking the groceries, youngest daughter called. She is moving out this weekend to her own place, last night was her first night in her new digs so this morning I really had the house to myself (or so I thought).

She wanted to let me know she, and middle daughter, and middle daughter's boy friend, were on their way over to pick up another load of stuff. Middle son was on his way over with his pickup to help move the big furniture. Within minutes the house was full again.

Do you cringe like I do when anyone, but especially your family, moves furniture up or down the stairs? To say it worries me is an understatement . It drives me nutty. " The walls! Watch out for the walls!" I will cry out. And it's mandatory to cover everything with blankets or quilts just in case something touches a wall and chips the paint.

This morning I decided to give them all a gift, no looney bossy paint chip fearing mom. A nice tall glass of iced tea, a lounge chair OUTSIDE, and a phone call to one of my best friends kept me away from the action.

And even without my nagging, the walls came away unscathed.

They left, and about an hour later hubby comes home from golf ready for lunch. After a turkey sandwich and cantaloupe, I start getting antsy.

Yep, I did, I went over to visit her. It was quiet around here, he was watching golf, and the little white dog was laying on her pillow not moving a muscle unless someone yelled "treat!"

They were all there, middle son hanging up pictures for her. And oldest daughter was on her way over to go with her to Sam's to buy frozen chicken breasts and laundry soap. You're growing up when you want to spend your afternoon at Sam's.

To say I had a glimpse of a life without me around would be accurate.

They'd be okay. Their "issues", I saw this past week while on vacation, are really my issues.

They are able to work things out when I give them a chance and not try to make them do it my way which must be the better way because it's my way. I'm learning to let go I suppose.


When I got home to hubby, we looked at each other wandering what to do next. Okay, we did have the house to ourselves.

A little while later we looked at each other wondering what to do next.

We ordered the uncut version of "American Gangster" with Denzel Washington. Do you know that it is 175 minutes? THREE HOURS! We paused it several times, even paused it while I made dinner. Watching it in a movie theatre would have done a number on my bladder.

The pool looked inviting after dinner so I jumped in for a float. On a floaty. I'm not a swimmer but I sure can use a float, kicking just enough to keep me from bumping into the walls.

Hmmm--- it's kinda quiet around here...

Maybe I'll grill some burgers tomorrow night and invite the kids over for dinner.

No comments: