Sunday, June 1, 2008

Butter is a Condiment


Well we're all at the beach. No one got lost getting here, got into a fight, or fell off the balcony. Yet.

To encourage family bonding, hubby and I thought we would get all the kids to chip in for food and each day there would be different "cooks" who would be responsible for breakfast and dinner and cleaning the kitchen that day. Pre-planning skills are desirable since you go to the grocery store the night before for the food for the next day. The only one I thought might need a little "help" in that area was the second day's team; Hubby and our youngest son. Let's face facts; no girls on that team. Could be a plus when deciding what to cook, but not what is needed in order to complete the task.

To them, things like spices, cooking oil, foil, are not necessary items to get the job done, but instead, perks.

I doubt hubby even knows where I keep the spices at home or even what exactly constitutes a spice except for salt and pepper, and possibly cinnamon. And let's not even mention herbs.

So here's my thinking... they might need some help. Maybe a few suggestions on what to get, at least the basic necessities; bread, milk, etc...

The first time I started listing items he said "I thought you were bringing everything except what we are cooking?" I replied "Yeah, I'm bringing the condiments " and rattled off mayo, mustard, ketchup.. and that's when it happened. I was waved off! Yes, waved off! Said he "got it".

Still, I was concerned. Talk about your OCD personality, well it's me. Talk about a laid back one, and you're painting a picture of him. Yet it works for us. So on the way here in the car where he can't escape, I start in again, "You might want to get some bread, milk." and then I'm waved off, AGAIN!!! I only listed two items! He was getting a little perturbed at me and said " I GOT IT!" in a bit louder voice than the first time. Okay ----- thinking maybe I can write a list and stick it in his wallet by the cash. At least I won't be there when he finds it. How can this not be helpful? I am mystified.

So they go to the store and bring home bags of groceries. After they fill up the fridge and cupboards, and leave the room, I go and check it out... bread, milk. He listened! I am elated!


This morning they get up and start cooking, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, and toast. I ask where's the butter?

He looks at me.

He is still looking at me.

What??

He says " You said you were bringing the condiments! Why didn't you tell me you didn't bring any butter?"


Now I know.

Butter is a condiment.