Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Penmanship is Important

Lately hubby and I have been feeling our age. My hips bother me and the muscles tighten and actually makes one leg longer than the other and he just experienced a extremely debilitating bout of arthritis in his lower back.

With all the anti-inflams, pain pills, and Ben Gay heat wraps littering our nightstands coupled with morning stretching sessions, one would think we were tottering near the edge of eldercare.

The last couple of days we have been pretty much pain free. It doesn't hurt when we sleep. (truly a horrible thing)

This morning he let me sleep a little later, it is my birthday after all.

I awoke to two cards propped on my laptop. (he KNOWS where I will easily find them)


Hubby always gives me two birthday cards for my birthday, one serious and heartfelt, and the other funny. This year was a little different, both were serious.

The first one was an "I love you" card, very sweet.

The next one was a booklet.

It had a lot of pages and

many words were underlined.

One page was soothing pastels and the next page increasingly pink shades of pink. Quite vibrant actually.

That was the passion page.

It said ".....and the passion we know"

He underlined passion and added an exclamation mark.

My hubby is a romantic. He really is.

I was swooning with his special punctuation and his emphasized verbiage.

The rest of the passion page read like this;

"when our bodies meet as one".


So it said in it's entirety, "and the passion we know when our bodies meet as one...."


Pretty bodice ripping for American Greetings.

What confused me was his comment under the last line.

He wrote, " Not as much as we used to but we're careful when we do".

Huh?

OH!!!

He must mean because of the arthritis and tight hip flexors!


I said to him with warmth and concern "It's hard to be "romantic" when you hurt. I understand. As we feel better we won't have to be careful not to hurt something".

He glanced up from the morning paper and said "What are you talking about?"

I replied, "I understand how you feel. But you really don't have to be careful with me, it's not like I am going to break."

"Though I appreciate the concern" I quickly added.

"I have no clue what you're talking about." he said. "Have you had your coffee yet?"

"Yes, I've had my coffee. It's right here on the card! You said we need to be careful when we "do".

"I did not."

"Yes. You did."

"Give me that card".

He takes the card and reads it.

He hands me the card.

"It CLEARLY says "not as much as we used to but wonderful when we do".

oh..

I swear it looks like careful....

No comments: