Friday, August 22, 2008

New School New Friends

Yesterday I picked up middle granddaughter from her new school.

I got there a little early so I could meet her teacher and figure out the school's layout. She was out on the playground when I arrived. It took me awhile to find her, there were alot of little blonde kids running around and they all had ponytails. Except for one. She had long dark hair and was a little wisp of a girl. And she was firmly holding hands with another little girl, this one with a braid swinging wildly as she galloped across the schoolyard. Yup, that was my baby with the crazed braid.


Her teacher and I spoke for a few minutes before she blew the "the dead could even hear it" whistle. All the kids came running toward her and lined up perfectly chatting happily. It was great to see granddaughter so happy - last year she had a bad case of persistent hives that may have been stress induced from going to school. Not one little blemish on her face today. And this with a different school and a different district and not one child in her class that she knew before that day.


We went inside and she gathered her lunch box and book bag, said her goodbyes and we headed out. Once in the car buckled up and headed toward Starbucks (gotta get some iced tea!), she starting telling me about her day. She had so much fun! Her teacher told me she scored so well she was in the top reading group, where there were only 3 other kids. This means she can read books at her own pace and then take comprehension tests before she moves on. She liked also being asked to help the slow readers with their assignments.

We had stopped at a light when I asked her about the little brunette girl she was playing with on the playground. (Her teacher had mentioned she had just arrived here from Russia).

Granddaughter said " She's nice. But she doesn't talk like me."

"Really?" I replied. "I heard she was from Russia, she is probably more comfortable speaking Russian".

"Yeah, well I am helping her with English. Sometimes I tell her the word for things."

"That is very nice of you. That's what friends do, they help. And maybe she can teach you some Russian words."

"Yeah, I don't care how she sounds. I mean I care and I want to help her, but I really don't care. You know what I mean Nina?"

"Yes I do" I replied thinking wow---what a heart this kid has.....

"And there is this little boy there" she added

"Uh huh"

She continued, " And he has something growing on his fingertips. I like him..but I CARE about that.."


Okay -1 out of 2

lol

No comments: