Thursday, August 14, 2008

It Must Look Bad First to Look Good Last


So I'm crazy.

Yes, I started remodeling the kitchen.

LOCK ME UP!

When we moved in here three years ago, I said "That all-white kitchen has got to go!" And I meant it. Then the opportunity came to do a major re-haul and we chose to add a pool and a pool house, who wouldn't? And we have certainly enjoyed it and it has been a great place for the family to all come together.

And the kitchen remained white. White ceramic tile, white appliances, white back splash, and white cabinets, and add the white plantation shutters, well that's alot of white.

I didn't like white before I moved here, it showed too much dirt and every little ketchup squirt or coffee dribble. But now I do appreciate it for it shows every little ketchup squirt and coffee dribble. When you have kids that are younger, who has time to clean? If I don't see it, it is easier to pretend it's not there.

Besides the chipped, ceramic tile, ( I did mention it was chipped didn't I?), I want to refinish the cabinets. Then there is the appliances. The vent hood over the range is so low you bonk your head if you try to look into a pot on a back burner. Lots of little stuff like that --- oh and that awful rectangular box light in the kitchen and the green wrought iron chandelier, you get the picture.

We are very lucky that our middle son remodels and renovates on the side. Hubby can be pretty handy but he has no patience. And if he doesn't want to do something he hurries up and does it which sometimes can create a bigger problem, aka "a mess".


Hubby gave me some money to put away for the remodel. His plan was to save it until we had enough to do the whole remodel. Like I said, that was "his" plan.

My plan is LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!!!

I went out and bought a range, vent hood, and a dishwasher. Middle son is going to be the contractor. ( I think I am his boss---hee hee)

So last weekend he came and removed the old appliances. Youngest daughter got our dishwasher and Habitat for Humanity our range and vent hood. We had several days of "no cooking unless it's nuked". Gotta say I enjoyed those days since we went out to eat all of them.

Last night he installed the dishwasher. For the first time ever I had to read a dishwasher manual. There's alot of racks in there. Lots of options. I think I could wash a poodle in there.


He shortened my cabinets and is getting new doors for them made. When I arrived home from a meeting last night, I went into the kitchen to unwind and check my email. I had noticed the dishwasher and tinkered with it. Hubby called out to me about what I thought about the cabinets. I had not even noticed them. He doesn't get why that is a big compliment to middle son. If I can walk into my kitchen and pass right by a cabinet that has been shortened a good half a foot and not notice it, then it looks good! Nothing drew my attention to it and made my breath catch and my heart to flutter.

Tonight he is coming back to install the range.

We're going out to eat.

Hmmm ---maybe I should have said the range was on back order?

No comments: