Sunday, August 17, 2008

Home on the Range


The range is in.


Had a little difficulty with the install - apparently the floor is a bigger issue than we knew. The range is tilted just a bit due to the floor being up so high and this range sitting forward farther than the old one.


Middle son tried everything he could think of to rectify the situation. He finally called me into the kitchen and asked " Just when are you getting the granite?" "Why?" I replied (knowing that hubby's granite timetable was further off in the distance than I hoped. "Well, it makes a big difference. You see the range is tilted. I can fix it by cutting the floor tile and it will sit level. Or, if you were going to get the granite soon, I would suggest you not cut the floor tile because it will bring the counter top up enough to level the range."


I am going to be cooking with tilted pans for awhile I thought.


"Let's ask your dad" I said. "He is the only one with the final answer".


So he calls hubby in and asks him the same question.


Hubby rolls his eyes.


Hubby huffs.


And he puffs.


He finally says "Why do you have to ask that in front of her? Are you guys in cahoots or something?"


"No" middle son replies " I just need to know if you want me to cut the tile. I'll do it, just give me the okay."


Hubby groans and says "You guys are working together. Your partners. I am outnumbered."


He looks at me, I stifle a smile.


"Don't cut the tile" he says and leaves the room. Quickly I might add.


I smile at middle son.


He smiles at me.


Now we know.


The granite guys are coming Wednesday with an estimate. I already have one from someplace else that was crazy high - let's hope this one is more reasonable.


I used the Easy Convect feature to cook lunch.


Holy smokes it was easy (hence the easy declaration by Kitchen Aid). You plug in what the regular cooking time and temp is and it converts it for you, it tells you when to check it and turns the oven off.


It worked perfectly.


The warming drawer warmed up the whole grain rolls and man I felt like I was cooking in a Dream Kitchen; tilt and all.


Here is a pic of the range as it is today. We still need the cabinet doors to cover the venting, and the tile backsplash will be removed and a new one installed with a potfiller.


And oh yeah, the granite.


Sooner rather than later I hear.






No comments: