Thursday, May 20, 2010

Contact Lenses Aren't For Sissies

One would think that the initial period of adjustment for contacts would be say--- 2 weeks?

HA

HA HA

HA HA HA

Not for me.

Hubby is about ready to snatch these things from my eyes and toss them in the trash. Poor guy, all he hears is "There's something in my eye!" or "Close the window, something will get in my eye!".. there really is no in-between, either something is already in my eye or about to get in my eye.

I got them because I was tired of exercising with my glasses and the bridge of my nose getting beat up and wiping under my glasses the sweat from spinning and then breaking out. Thought it would be easier. Yeah right, even the process was not easy for me.

Getting fitted for my first pair should have given me a hint of what I was in store . The girl who demonstrates how to put in and take out the lens had it on the tip of her finger and said "See? You want this bowl shape. You don't want a platter. If it's a platter, its inside out." A bowl? A platter? It barely resembled a cup and now I was supposed to play guess the dish? I asked her to show me what exactly a platter looked like- she flipped it inside out and it still looked pretty much liked it did the other way. Many attempts later, I was able to get that flimsy piece of Saran Wrap in my eye. Whew! That's over! Then they wanted me to take it out! WHY??? I JUST GOT IT IN!!! Here I am trying to get it out.. a very thin film, no wisp, of a lens. Finally its out- I am sure my eyeball is bruised. Then it has to go in again...

Insert sigh and quiet time here


When its all in -- I learn that I have to go through that every night. I thought they made these things to stay in almost forever???

Each night I struggled with that stupid lens... its too thin, my eyes are too beady I am sure I can't open my eyes that wide even if I reach over my head, kiss my elbow and grab my lashes with the opposite hand to pry open my eye--- it ain't working...

Not to mention that whole bowl/platter thing... once you get it in you find out you inserted it platter side out... man I could cuss like a trucker when I did that---

Then my daughter comes over and tries to help me. She felt sorry for me after the damn lens flipped in half like a taco shell and got lodged under my eyelid. Was it painful?

If you have to ask....

She finally said "Mom, I don't think contacts are for you." Well there you go, talk about throwing down the proverbial gauntlet. I did get some important info from her; that there ARE lenses that stay in all week and only come out for a night to get cleaned and let your eye breathe, and that her lenses say "OK" when you look through them so you know that you are putting it in the right way. And why don't I have those??? So I called the optometrist and why yes I can get those lenses but they are thicker and may be a tad uncomfortable. WHO CARES! At this point I want thicker! And no more bowl platter nonsense...

New contacts are much better.. The word "OK" is my favorite word to read. Saturday night, out they come, Sunday morning in they go.. eventually , it still takes me a bit of time.

Still some adjustments for hubby though. Last night I begged him to turn off the ceiling fan, I swear it blows dust and fuzz right in my eyes. He did and was so miserably hot. And coming back from the gym he likes the window open so the breeze can cool him off... I have to wear sunglasses so the wind doesn't blow something in my eye.

Hmmm sounds like most of the adjusting is his????

Maybe I owe him a back rub.

As long as it isn't outside in a breeze or under a fan, he's got it.

No comments: